Thank you for the info, Duncan.

I will use Alt-sysrq-s alt-sysrq-u alt-sysrq-b. This is the best
description / recommendation I've read on the subject. I had read
about these special key sequences before but I could never remember
them and I didn't fully understand what they did. Now you have given
me the understanding as well as an easy-to-remember method. I'll use
it.

I launch KDE the same way you do (no DM). I also run a tiple monitor
setup, but I am using an nvidia GTX 1070 (and proprietary drivers),
for the time being.

My system does not have any issues when the monitors go to sleep. That
happens many times a day as I have a short timeout set.

I am very concerned about this primary problem (or problems) and I
hope I can find some understanding of what is going on. BTRFS has
worked well for me since 2012. While that's fantastic, it also means I
haven't had to troubleshoot it in the past. Now (because of 4 years of
problem-free operation) I'm using it on a critical production system.
I have backups, but I cannot allow these problems to go unresolved.