Am Sonntag, 11. September 2016, 13:21:30 CEST schrieb Zoiled:
> Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 11. September 2016, 10:55:21 CEST schrieb Waxhead:
> >> I have been following BTRFS for years and have recently been starting to
> >> use BTRFS more and more and as always BTRFS' stability is a hot topic.
> >> Some says that BTRFS is a dead end research project while others claim
> >> the opposite.
> >
> > First off: On my systems BTRFS definately runs too stable for a research
> > project. Actually: I have zero issues with stability of BTRFS on *any* of
> > my systems at the moment and in the last half year.
> >
> > The only issue I had till about half an year ago was BTRFS getting stuck
> > at
> > seeking free space on a highly fragmented RAID 1 + compress=lzo /home.
> > This
> > went away with either kernel 4.4 or 4.5.
> >
> > Additionally I never ever lost even a single byte of data on my own BTRFS
> > filesystems. I had a checksum failure on one of the SSDs, but BTRFS RAID 1
> > repaired it.
> >

> > Where do I use BTRFS?
> >
> > 1) On this ThinkPad T520 with two SSDs. /home and / in RAID 1, another
> > data
> > volume as single. In case you can read german, search blog.teamix.de for
> > BTRFS.
> >
> > 2) On my music box ThinkPad T42 for /home. I did not bother to change / so
> > far and may never to so for this laptop. It has a slow 2,5 inch harddisk.
> >
> > 3) I used it on Workstation at work as well for a data volume in RAID 1.
> > But workstation is no more (not due to a filesystem failure).
> >
> > 4) On a server VM for /home with Maildirs and Owncloud data. /var is still
> > on Ext4, but I want to migrate it as well. Whether I ever change /, I
> > don´t know.
> >
> > 5) On another server VM, a backup VM which I currently use with
> > borgbackup.
> > With borgbackup I actually wouldn´t really need BTRFS, but well…
> >
> > 6) On *all* of my externel eSATA based backup harddisks for snapshotting
> > older states of the backups.
>
> In other words, you are one of those who claim the opposite :) I have
> also myself run btrfs for a "toy" filesystem since 2013 without any
> issues, but this is more or less irrelevant since some people have
> experienced data loss thanks to unstable features that are not clearly
> marked as such.
> And making a claim that you have not lost a single byte of data does not
> make sense, how did you test this? SHA256 against a backup? :)

Do you have any proof like that with *any* other filesystem on Linux?

No, my claim is a bit weaker: BTRFS own scrubbing feature and well no I/O
errors on rsyncing my data over to the backup drive - BTRFS checks checksum on
read as well –, and yes I know BTRFS uses a weaker hashing algorithm, I think
crc32c. Yet this is still more than what I can say about *any* other
filesystem I used so far. Up to my current knowledge neither XFS nor Ext4/3
provide data checksumming. They do have metadata checksumming and I found
contradicting information on whether XFS may support data checksumming in the
future, but up to now, no *proof* *whatsoever* from side of the filesystem
that the data is, what it was when I saved it initially. There may be bit
errors rotting on any of your Ext4 and XFS filesystem without you even
noticing for *years*. I think thats still unlikely, but it can happen, I have
seen this years ago after restoring a backup with bit errors from a hardware
RAID controller.

Of course, I rely on the checksumming feature within BTRFS – which may have
errors. But even that is more than with any other filesystem I had before.

And I do not scrub daily, especially not the backup disks, but for any scrubs
up to now, no issues. So, granted, my claim has been a bit bold. Right now I
have no up-to-this-day scrubs so all I can say is that I am not aware of any
data losses up to the point in time where I last scrubbed my devices. Just
redoing the scrubbing now on my laptop.

> >> The Debian wiki for BTRFS (which is recent by the way) contains a bunch
> >> of warnings and recommendations and is for me a bit better than the
> >> official BTRFS wiki when it comes to how to decide what features to use.
> >
> > Nice page. I wasn´t aware of this one.
> >
> > If you use BTRFS with Debian, I suggest to usually use the recent backport
> > kernel, currently 4.6.
> >
> > Hmmm, maybe I better remove that compress=lzo mount option. Never saw any
> > issue with it, tough. Will research what they say about it.
>
> My point exactly: You did not know about this and hence the risk of your
> data being gnawed on.

Well I do follow BTRFS mailinglist to some extent and I recommend anyone who
uses BTRFS in production to do this. And: So far I see no data loss from using
that option and for me personally it is exactly that what counts. J

Still: An information on what features are stable with what version of kernel
and btrfs-progrs is important. I totally agree with that and there is not the
slighted need to discuss about it.

But also just saying: I wasn´t aware is no excuse either. BTRFS is not
officially declared fully production ready. Just read this:

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page#Stability_status

It just talks about the disk format being stable and a bit cowardly avoids any
statement regarding production stability. If I´d read this, I´d think: Okay, I
may use this, but I better check back more closely and be prepared to upgrade
kernels and read BTRFS mailinglist.

That said, the statement avoids clarity to some extent and I think it would be
better for formulate it in a clearer way.

> >> The Nouveau graphics driver have a nice feature matrix on it's webpage
> >> and I think that BTRFS perhaps should consider doing something like that
> >> on it's official wiki as well
> >
> > BTRFS also has a feature matrix. The links to it are in the "News" section
> > however:
> >
> > https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Changelog#By_feature

> I disagree, this is not a feature / stability matrix. It is a clearly a
> changelog by kernel version.

It is a *feature* matrix. I fully said its not about stability, but about
implementation – I just wrote this a sentence after this one. There is no need
whatsoever to further discuss this as I never claimed that it is a feature /
stability matrix in the first place.

> > Thing is: This just seems to be when has a feature been implemented
> > matrix.
> > Not when it is considered to be stable. I think this could be done with
> > colors or so. Like red for not supported, yellow for implemented and
> > green for production ready.
>
> Exactly, just like the Nouveau matrix. It clearly shows what you can
> expect from it.
>
> > Another hint you can get by reading SLES 12 releasenotes. SUSE dares to
> > support BTRFS since quite a while – frankly, I think for SLES 11 SP 3 this
> > was premature, at least for the initial release without updates, I have a
> > VM that with BTRFS I can break very easily having BTRFS say it is full,
> > while it is has still 2 GB free. But well… this still seems to happen for
> > some people according to the threads on BTRFS mailing list.
> >
> > SUSE doesn´t support all of BTRFS. They even put features they do not
> > support behind a "allow_unsupported=1" module option:
> >
> > https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12/#fate-314697
> >
> > But they even seem to contradict themselves by claiming they support RAID
> > 0, RAID 1 and RAID10, but not RAID 5 or RAID 6, but then putting RAID
> > behind that module option – or I misunderstood their RAID statement
> >
> > "Btrfs is supported on top of MD (multiple devices) and DM (device mapper)
> > configurations. Use the YaST partitioner to achieve a proper setup.
> > Multivolume Btrfs is supported in RAID0, RAID1, and RAID10 profiles in
> > SUSE
> > Linux Enterprise 12, higher RAID levels are not yet supported, but might
> > be
> > enabled with a future service pack."
> >
> > and they only support BTRFS on MD for RAID. They also do not support
> > compression yet. They even do not support big metadata.
> >
> > https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/12/#fate-317221
> >
> > Interestingly enough RedHat only supports BTRFS as a technology preview,
> > even with RHEL 7.
>
> I would much rather prefer to rely on the btrfs wiki as the source and
> not distro's ideas about what is reliable or not. The Debian wiki is
> nice, but there should honestly not be any need for it if the btrfs wiki
> had the relevant information.

See, this is what you prefer. And then there is reality.

It seems reality doesn´t match what you prefer. You can now spend time
complaining about this, or… offer your help to improve the situation.

If you choose the complaining path, I am out, and rather spend my time
enjoying to use BTRFS as I do. Maybe reviewing that compress=lzo thing.

As I first read your subject "Is stability a joke?" I wondered whether to even
answer this. Fortunately your post has been a bit more than this complaint.

And trust me, I have been there. I complained myself about stability here. And
I found that it didn´t help my cause very much.

> >> For example something along the lines of .... (the statuses are taken
> >> our of thin air just for demonstration purposes)
> >
> > I´d say feel free to work with the feature matrix already there and fill
> > in
> > information about stability. I think it makes sense tough to discuss first
> > on how to do it with still keeping it manageable.

> I am afraid the changelog is not a stability/status feature matrix as
> you yourself have mentioned, but absolutely I could have edited the wiki
> and see what happened :)

I think what would be a good next step would be to ask developers / users
about feature stability and then update the wiki. If thats important to you, I
suggest you invest some energy in doing that. And ask for help. This
mailinglist is a good idea.

I already gave you my idea on what works for me.

There is just one thing I won´t go further even a single step: The complaining
path. As it leads to no desirable outcome.

Thanks,
--
Martin