For the most part, I agree with you, especially about the strategy being backward - and file encryption being a viable more-easily-implementable direction.

However, you are doing yourself a disservice to compare btrfs' features as a "re-implementation" of existing tools. The existing tools cannot do what btrfs' devs want to implement. See below inline.