On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 23:58:31 -0700, Eric Biggers wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 09:39:46PM +0800, Anand Jain wrote:
>>
>> This patchset adds btrfs encryption support.
>>

> Hi Anand,

<snip>

> Note: even better would be an authenticated encryption mode.  That isn't
> yet done by ext4 or f2fs --- I think because there wasn't a good place
> to store a per-page authentication tag.  It would be interesting to know
> whether this would be possible for btrfs.

IMO, this is already a flawed framing - in particular, if encrypting at
the extent level, one _should not_ be encrypting (or authenticating)
individual pages. The meaningful unit is the extent, and encrypting at
page granularity puts you right back where dmcrypt is: dealing with fixed-
size space, and needing to find somewhere else to put the auth tag.

This is not a good place to be, and I strongly suspect it motivated
choosing XTS in the first place - something I feel is an _error_ in the
long run, and a dangerous one. (IMO, anything _but_ AEAD should be
forbidden in FS-level encryption.)

In a nonce-misuse-resistent AEAD, there _is_ no auth tag: There's some
amount of inherent ciphertext expansion, and the ciphertext _cannot be
decrypted at all_ unless all of it is present. In essence, a built-in all-
or-nothing transform.

You could, potentially, chop off part of that and store it elsewhere, but
now you're dealing with significant added complexity, for absolutely zero
gain.

If you're _not_ using a nonce-misuse-resistant AEAD, it's even worse:
keeping the tag out-of-band makes it far too easy to fail to verify it,
or verify it only after decrypting the ciphertext to plaintext. Bluntly:
that is an immediate security vulnerability.

tl;dr: Don't encrypt pages, encrypt extents. They grow a little for the
auth tag, and that's fine.

Btrfs already handles needing to read the full extent in order to get a
page out of it with compression, anyway.

<snip>