At 10/13/2016 01:26 AM, David Sterba wrote:
On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 10:01:27PM +0800, Qu Wenruo wrote:

On 10/12/2016 09:58 PM, Abhay Sachan wrote:
Hi,
I tried building latest btrfs progs on CentOS 6, "./configure" failed
with the error:

checking for FIEMAP_EXTENT_SHARED defined in linux/fiemap.h... no
configure: error: no definition of FIEMAP_EXTENT_SHARED found

Any ideas what am I lacking in the system?

Your kernel is too old and its header doesn't support
FIEMAP_EXTENT_SHARED flag for fiemap ioctl.

As this is not the first time, I wonder if we could provide a defintion
of the macro in progs, regardless of the installed headers. Note that
this does not mean the running kernel is old. Previously the user said
he was running a 4.4 kernel [1] (or it could be any other kernel
version). For that combination of headers and running kernel, I think
it's ok to add a fallback definition.

Yes, fallback definition is good for case like running kernel supports SHARED_EXTENT flag, but not kernel header.

But I'm a little concerned about such fallback definition will lead to corrupted result for "fi du".

And since that flag is very important for tools like "btrfs filesystem
du", for old kernel doesn't support EXTENT_SHARED flag, we have no
choice but abort configuration.

The check was added to configure so it's caught earlier than during
build. The 'fi du' command is useful, but not IMO critical to stop the
build.

What about just disabling subcommands using SHARED_EXTENT flag?
Like "fi du".

Thanks,
Qu

[1] http://lkml.kernel.org/r/2f451ba15f1d3dc508ab5439cf4dc...@crc.id.au