On Monday 05 December 2016 12:01:28 Marc Joliet wrote:
> > This seems to be a NULL pointer bug in qgroup relocation fix.
> >

> > The latest fix (not merged yet) should address it.
> >

> > You could try the for-next-20161125 branch from David to fix it:
> > https://github.com/kdave/btrfs-devel/tree/for-next-20161125
>
> OK, I'll try that, thanks!  I just have to wait for it to finish cloning...

[...]
> > And for your recovery, I'd suggest to install an Archlinux into a USB
> > HDD or USB stick, and compile David's branch and install it into the USB
> > HDD.
> >

> > Then use the USB storage as rescue tool to mount the fs, which should do
> > RW mount with or without skip_balance mount option.
> > So you could disable quota then.
>
> OK, I'll try that, thanks!

Excellent, thank you, that worked!  My laptop is working normally again.  I'll
keep an eye on it, but so far two balance operations ran normally (that is,
they completed within a few minutes and without hanging the system).

(Specifically, since I didn't find out how to get a different kernel onto the
Arch USB stick, I simply installed the kernel on my desktop, then did
everything from an initramfs emergency shell, then moved the SSD back into the
laptop.)

Thanks, everyone!
--
Marc Joliet