At 12/05/2016 10:43 PM, Marc Joliet wrote:
On Monday 05 December 2016 12:01:28 Marc Joliet wrote:
This seems to be a NULL pointer bug in qgroup relocation fix.

The latest fix (not merged yet) should address it.

You could try the for-next-20161125 branch from David to fix it:
https://github.com/kdave/btrfs-devel/tree/for-next-20161125

OK, I'll try that, thanks!  I just have to wait for it to finish cloning...

[...]
And for your recovery, I'd suggest to install an Archlinux into a USB
HDD or USB stick, and compile David's branch and install it into the USB
HDD.

Then use the USB storage as rescue tool to mount the fs, which should do
RW mount with or without skip_balance mount option.
So you could disable quota then.

OK, I'll try that, thanks!

Excellent, thank you, that worked!  My laptop is working normally again.  I'll
keep an eye on it, but so far two balance operations ran normally (that is,
they completed within a few minutes and without hanging the system).

(Specifically, since I didn't find out how to get a different kernel onto the
Arch USB stick, I simply installed the kernel on my desktop, then did
everything from an initramfs emergency shell, then moved the SSD back into the
laptop.)

Thanks, everyone!

Glad that helped.

I just forgot that you're using gentoo, not archlinux, and kernel install script won't work for archlinux.

Anyway, I'm glad that works for you.

BTW, if you haven't yet disable quota, would you please give a report on how many qgroup you have?
And how CPU is spinning for balancing with quota enabled?

This would help us to evaluate how qgroup slows down the process if there are too many snapshots.

Thanks,
Qu