On 2017-01-24 14:48, Adam Borowski wrote:

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 01:57:24PM -0500, Hans Deragon wrote:

If I remove 'ro' from the option, I cannot get the filesystem mounted because of the following error: BTRFS: missing devices(1) exceeds the limit(0), writeable mount is not allowed So I am stuck. I can only mount the filesystem as read-only, which prevents me to add a disk.

A known problem: you get only one shot at fixing the filesystem, but that's
not because of some damage but because the check whether the fs is in a
shape is good enough to mount is oversimplistic.

Here's a patch, if you apply it and recompile, you'll be able to mount
degraded rw.

Note that it removes a safety harness: here, the harness got tangled up and keeps you from recovering when it shouldn't, but it _has_ valid uses that.

Meow!

Greetings,

Ok, that solution will solve my problem in the short run, i.e. getting my raid1 up again.

However, as a user, I am seeking for an easy, no maintenance raid solution. I wish that if a drive fails, the btrfs filesystem still mounts rw and leaves the OS running, but warns the user of the failing disk and easily allow the addition of a new drive to reintroduce redundancy. Are there any plans within the btrfs community to implement such a feature? In a year from now, when the other drive will fail, will I hit again this problem, i.e. my OS failing to start, booting into a terminal, and cannot reintroduce a new drive without recompiling the kernel?

Best regards,
Hans Deragon