On 2017-03-27 07:02, Moritz Sichert wrote:
Am 27.03.2017 um 05:46 schrieb Qu Wenruo:

At 03/27/2017 11:26 AM, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
27.03.2017 03:39, Qu Wenruo пишет:

At 03/26/2017 06:03 AM, Moritz Sichert wrote:
Hi,

I tried to configure qgroups on a btrfs filesystem but was really
surprised that when you snapshot a subvolume, the snapshot will not be
assigned to the qgroup the subvolume was in.

As an example consider the small terminal session in the attachment: I
create a subvol A, assign it to qgroup 1/1 and set a limit of 5M on
that qgroup. Then I write a file into A and eventually get "disk quota
exceeded". Then I create a snapshot of A and call it B. B will not be
assigned to 1/1 and writing a file into B confirms that no limits at
all are imposed for B.

I feel like I must be missing something here. Considering that
creating a snapshot does not require root privileges this would mean
that any user can just circumvent any quota and therefore make them
useless.

Is there a way to enforce quotas even when a user creates snapshots?

Yes, there is always method to attach the subvolume/snapshot to
specified higher level qgroup.

Just use "btrfs subvolume snapshot -i 1/1".

This requires cooperation from whoever creates subvolume, while the
question was - is it possible to enforce it, without need for explicit
option/action when snapshot is created.

To reiterate - if user omits "-i 1/1" (s)he "escapes" from quota
enforcement.

What if user really want to create a subvolume assigned another group?

You're implying a *policy* that if source subvolume belongs to a higher level
qgroup, then snapshot created should also follow that higher level qgroup.

However kernel should only provide *mechanisim*, not *policy*.
And btrfs does it, it provides method to do it, whether to do or not is users
responsibility.

If you want to implement that policy, please do it in a higher level, something
like SUSE snapper, not in kernel.

The problem is, I can't enforce the policy because *every user* can create
snapshots. Even if I would restrict the btrfs executable so that only root can
execute it, this doesn't help. As using the ioctl for btrfs is allowed for any
user, they could just get the executable from somewhere else.
To reiterate and reinforce this:
If it is not possible to enforce new subvolumes counting for their parent quota, and there is no option to prevent non-root (or non-CAP_SYS_ADMIN) users from creating new subvolumes, then BTRFS qgroups are useless on any system with shell access because a user can trivially escape their quota restrictions (or hide from accounting) by creating a new subvolume which is outside of their qgroup and storing data there.

Ideally, there should be an option to disable user subvolume creation (it arguably should be the default, because of resource exhaustion issues, but that's a separate argument), and there should be an option in the kernel to force specific behavior. Both cases are policy, but they are policy that can only be concretely enforced _by the kernel_.