If we were going to reserve something, it should be a high number, not a low one. Having 0 reserved makes some sense, but reserving other low numbers seems kind of odd when they aren't already reserved.

I did some experiments.

Currently assigning higher-level qgroup to lower-level qgroup is not possible. Consequently, assigning anything to 0-level qgroup is not possible.

On the other hand, assigning qgroups while skipping levels (e.g. qgroup 2/P to 10/Q) is possible. So setting default snapshot level high is technically possible, but you'll not be able to assign these high-level qgroups anywhere low later.

although I hadn't realized that the snapshot command _does not_ have this argument, when it absolutely should.
It does here in 4.4, it's just not documented :) I too found it by accident.

Perhaps have an option
Options always suit everyone except developers who need to implement and support them :)

Here I'd like to wrap up since I seriously doubt any real btrfs developers are still reading our discussion :)

--

With Best Regards,
Marat Khalili