Thank you very much for your thoughtful and thorough reply. I appreciate this very much.

I have finally been able to work past the issue. It seems that send/receive participates in maintaing some sort of "chain of custody/ancestry". I had been using a pre-existing snapshot at the destination instead of sending over an identical original via "btrfs send". This seems to have had the effect of "breaking" that "chain", causing send to refuse to use that snapshot as a parent. When the original is sent, send can use it as such, and the operation I was attempting proceeds without error.