Am Fri, 12 May 2017 15:02:20 +0200
schrieb Imran Geriskovan <imran.gerisko...@gmail.com>:

> On 5/12/17, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
> > FWIW, I'm in the market for SSDs ATM, and remembered this from a
> > couple weeks ago so went back to find it.  Thanks. =:^)
> >
> > (I'm currently still on quarter-TB generation ssds, plus spinning
> > rust for the larger media partition and backups, and want to be rid
> > of the spinning rust, so am looking at half-TB to TB, which seems
> > to be the pricing sweet spot these days anyway.)
>
> Since you are taking ssds to mainstream based on your experience,
> I guess your perception of data retension/reliability is better than
> that of spinning rust. Right? Can you eloborate?
>
> Or an other criteria might be physical constraints of spinning rust
> on notebooks which dictates that you should handle the device
> with care when running.
>
> What was your primary motivation other than performance?

Personally, I don't really trust SSDs so much. They are much more
robust when it comes to physical damage because there are no physical
parts. That's absolutely not my concern. Regarding this, I trust SSDs
better than HDDs.

My concern is with fail scenarios of some SSDs which die unexpected and
horribly. I found some reports of older Samsung SSDs which failed
suddenly and unexpected, and in a way that the drive completely died:
No more data access, everything gone. HDDs start with bad sectors and
there's a good chance I can recover most of the data except a few
sectors.

When SSD blocks die, they are probably huge compared to a sector (256kB
to 4MB usually because that's erase block sizes). If this happens, the
firmware may decide to either allow read-only access or completely deny
access. There's another situation where dying storage chips may
completely mess up the firmware and there's no longer any access to
data.

That's why I don't trust any of my data to them. But I still want the
benefit of their speed. So I use SSDs mostly as frontend caches to
HDDs. This gives me big storage with fast access. Indeed, I'm using
bcache successfully for this. A warm cache is almost as fast as native
SSD (at least it feels almost that fast, it will be slower if you threw
benchmarks at it).

--
Regards,
Kai