On Fri, 12 May 2017 20:36:44 +0200
Kai Krakow <hurikha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My concern is with fail scenarios of some SSDs which die unexpected and
> horribly. I found some reports of older Samsung SSDs which failed
> suddenly and unexpected, and in a way that the drive completely died:
> No more data access, everything gone. HDDs start with bad sectors and
> there's a good chance I can recover most of the data except a few
> sectors.

Just have your backups up-to-date, doesn't matter if it's SSD, HDD or any sort
of RAID.

In a way it's even better, that SSDs [are said to] fail abruptly and entirely.
You can then just restore from backups and go on. Whereas a failing HDD can
leave you puzzled on e.g. whether it's a cable or controller problem instead,
and possibly can even cause some data corruption which you won't notice until
too late.

--
With respect,
Roman