On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 12:03:58PM -0700, Liu Bo wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 09:16:38PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > Looks like all the unhelpful BUG() aren't gone yet :-/
> > This one is really not helpful, I don't even know which one of my
> > filesystems caused the crash :(
> >
> > Why is this not remounting the filesystem read only?
> > Really, from a user and admin perspective, this is really not helpful.
> >
> > Could someone who know more than me do a pass and eradicate those?
> > Btrfs cannot be a production filesystem as long as those are still around
> > IMO.
>
> Looks like there's a security hole hidden in code, I don't think it's
> a bug in code, it's more like caused by a corrupted metadata reading
> from disk rather than a memory corruption.
>
> A quick glance at the stack shows in
> extent-tree.c:lookup_inline_extent_backref()
>
> type = btrfs_extent_inline_ref_type(leaf, iref);
> then...
> ptr += btrfs_extent_inline_ref_size(type);
>
> I agree that a corrupted image should not corrupt the kernel, so we
> can fix it by forcing it to readonly.

Thanks.
Can I make another plea for just removing all those BUG/BUG_ON?
They really have no place in production code, there is no excuse for a
filesystem to bring down the entire and in the process not even tell you
which of your filesystems had the issue to start with.

Could this be made part of a cleanup for this build to remove them all?

Pretty please with cherry on top? :)

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/