On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 08:25:19PM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> >    Welcome to RAID-0...
>
> As Hugo implies, RAID-0 mode, not just for btrfs but in general, is well
> known among admins for being "garbage data not worth trying to recover"
> mode.  Not only is there no redundancy, but with raid0 you're
> deliberately increasing the chances of loss because now loss of any one
> device pretty well makes garbage of the entire array, and loss of any
> single device in a group of more than one is more likely than loss of any
> single device by itself.

Disks don't quite die once a week, you see.  Using raid0 is actually quite
rational in a good part of setups.

* You need backups _anyway_.  No raid level removes this requirement.
* You can give a machine twice as much immediate storage with raid0 than
  with raid1.
* You get twice as many disks you can use for backup.

Redundant raid is good for two things:
* uptime
* reducing the chance for loss of data between last backup and the failure

For the second point, do you happen to know of a filesystem that gives you
cheap hourly backups that avoid taking half an hour just to stat?

Thus, you need to make a decision: would you prefer to take time trying to
recover, with a good chance of failure anyway -- or a-priori accept that
every failure means hitting the backups?  Obviously, depends on the use
case.

This said, I don't have a raid0 anywhere.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ What Would Jesus Do, MUD/MMORPG edition:
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ • multiplay with an admin char to benefit your mortal