>>> [ ... ] Currently without any ssds i get the best speed with:
>>> - 4x HW Raid 5 with 1GB controller memory of 4TB 3,5" devices
>>> and using btrfs as raid 0 for data and metadata on top of
>>> those 4 raid 5. [ ... ] the write speed is not as good as i
>>> would like - especially for random 8k-16k I/O. [ ... ]

> [ ... ] 64kb data stripe and 16kb parity Btrfs raid0 use 64kb
> as stripe so that can make data access unaligned (or use single
> profile for btrfs) 3. Use btrfs ssd_spread to decrease RMW
> cycles.

This is not a "revolutionary" scientific discovery as the idea of
a working set of a small-size random-write workload, but it still
takes a lot of "optimism" to imagine that it is possible to
"decrease RMW cycles" for "random 8k-16k" writes on 64KiB+16KiB
RAID5 stripes, whether with 'ssd_spread' or not.

To "decrease RMW cycles" seems inded to me the better aim than
following the "radical" aim of caching the working set of a
random-small-write workload, but it may be less easy to achieve
than desirable :-). http://www.baarf.dk/