On 2017-11-15 02:11, waxhead wrote:
As a regular BTRFS user I can tell you that there is no such thing as hot data tracking yet. Some people seem to use bcache together with btrfs and come asking for help on the mailing list.
Bcache works fine recently. It was only with older versions that there were issues. dm-cache similarly works fine on recent versions. In both cases though, you need to be sure you know what you're doing, otherwise you are liable to break things.

Raid5/6 have received a few fixes recently, and it *may* soon me worth trying out raid5/6 for data, but keeping metadata in raid1/10 (I would rather loose a file or two than the entire filesystem).
I had plans to run some tests on this a while ago, but forgot about it.
As call good citizens, remember to have good backups. Last time I tested for Raid5/6 I ran into issues easily. For what it's worth - raid1/10 seems pretty rock solid as long as you have sufficient disks (hint: you need more than two for raid1 if you want to stay safe)
Parity profiles (raid5 and raid6) still have issues, although there are fewer than there were, with most of the remaining issues surrounding recovery. I would still recommend against it for production usage.

Simple replication (raid1) is pretty much rock solid as long as you keep on top of replacing failing hardware and aren't stupid enough to run the array degraded for any extended period of time (converting to a single device volume instead of leaving things with half a volume is vastly preferred for multiple reasons).

Striped replication (raid10) is generally fine, but you can get much better performance by running BTRFS with a raid1 profile on top of two MD/LVM/Hardware RAID0 volumes (BTRFS still doesn't do a very good job of parallelizing things).

As for dedupe there is (to my knowledge) nothing fully automatic yet. You have to run a program to scan your filesystem but all the deduplication is done in the kernel. duperemove works apparently quite well when I tested it, but there may be some performance implications.
Correct, there is nothing automatic (and there are pretty significant arguments against doing automatic deduplication in most cases), but the off-line options (via the EXTENT_SAME ioctl) are reasonably reliable. Duperemove in particular does a good job, though it may take a long time for large data sets.

As far as performance, it's no worse than large numbers of snapshots. The issues arise from using very large numbers of reflinks.

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
Hi all

I've been following this project on and off for quite a few years, and I wonder if anyone has looked into tiered storage on it. With tiered storage, I mean hot data lying on fast storage and cold data on slow storage. I'm not talking about cashing (where you just keep a copy of the hot data on the fast storage).

And btw, how far is raid[56] and block-level dedup from something useful in production?

Vennlig hilsen

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk