On Sun, Dec 3, 2017 at 3:47 AM, Adam Borowski <kilob...@angband.pl> wrote:

> I'd say that the only good use for nocow is "I wish I have placed this file
> on a non-btrfs, but it'd be too much hassle to repartition".
>
> If you snapshot nocow at all, you get the worst of both worlds.

I think it's better to have the option than not have it, but for
regular Joe user I think it's a problem. And that's why I'm not such a
big fan of systemd-journald using chattr +C on journals when on Btrfs,
by default. I wouldn't mind it if systemd also made /var/log/journal/
a subvolume, just like it automatically creates /var/lib/machines as
as subvolume. That way by default /var/log/journal would be immune to
snapshots.

Or alternatively a rework of how journals are written to be more COW friendly.

--
Chris Murphy