Holger Hoffstätte posted on Wed, 20 Dec 2017 20:58:14 +0100 as excerpted:

> On 12/20/17 20:02, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> I don't know if it's the sending MUA or the list server, but the line
>> wrapping makes this much harder to follow. I suggest putting it in a
>> text file and attaching the text file. It's definitely not on the
>> receiving side, I see it here also:
>> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg72872.html
>
> You can see enough to suggest that blk-mq is hanging, which is
> "unsurprising" (being kind here) with such an old kernel. Rich, build
> your kernel with CONFIG_SCSI_MQ_DEFAULT=n or boot with
> scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=n as kernel prarameter.

Well, the kernel is 4.4 "el repo".  4.4 /is/ an LTS (and elrepo is AFAIK
a red hat backports repo, not sure how official, but useful for people on
red hat), but it's now the second-back LTS, with 4.9 and the new 4.14
being newer LTS series.

The thing is that this is the btrfs list, and we're development and thus
rather forward focused here.  As such, we normally want at /least/ the
second newest (first back) lts series kernel for best chance at
reasonable support.  While I understand people who want to stick with LTS
being reluctant to go with the /newest/ LTS before even a single current
release has passed, making that LTS still a bit new as such things go,
certainly the one-back LTS, 4.9, should be reasonable.

So yes, tho 4.4 is at least an LTS, for purposes of btrfs and this list,
it really is rather old now, and an upgrade, presumably to 4.9 in keeping
with the LTS theme, would be recommended.  If the issue can be confirmed
on the current and LTS 4.14, so much the better, but certainly, 4.9 is a
recommended upgrade, and a bug there would still be in the concern for a
fix range, while 4.4... really is just out of the focus range for this
list, tho various longer focus distros will of course still provide
support for it.