Tomasz Pala posted on Sat, 23 Dec 2017 03:52:47 +0100 as excerpted:

> On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 14:04:43 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty sure degraded boot timeout policy is handled by dracut. The
>
> Well, last time I've checked dracut on systemd-system couldn't even
> generate systemd-less image.

??

Unless it changed recently (I /chose/ a systemd-based dracut setup here,
so I'd not be aware if it did), dracut can indeed do systemd-less initr*
images.  Dracut is modular, and systemd is one of the modules, enabled by
default on a systemd system, but not required, as I know, because I had
dracut setup without the systemd module for some time after I switched to
systemd for my main sysinit, and I verified it didn't install systemd in
the initr* until I activated the systemd module.