On  6.03.2018 12:53, Qu Wenruo wrote:

[snip]

> It breaks the rule that we shouldn't have the hole in file extents.
>
> IIRC Nikolay is trying to use inode_lock_shared() to solve this race.

Unfortunately the inode_lock_shared approach is a no go since Filipe
objected to it quite adamantly. After discussion that happened in that
thread I can say I'm almost convinced that the pair of READDIO_LOCK and
setsize *do* provide necessary consistency for the DIO case. However at
the moment there is a memory barrier missing.

But I think the DIO case is unrelated to the issue you are discussing
here, no ?

[snip]