On Mon, Jun 04, 2018 at 11:00:30PM +0800, Anand Jain wrote:
> In an instrumented testing it is possible that the mount and
> a newer mkfs.btrfs thread on the same device can race and if the new
> mkfs.btrfs wins it will free the older fs_devices, then the mount thread
> will lead to oops.
>
> Thread1                                               Thread2
> -------                                               -------
> mkfs.btrfs -fq /dev/sdb
> mount /dev/sdb /btrfs
> |_btrfs_mount_root()
>   |_btrfs_scan_one_device(... &fs_devices)
>
>                                               mkfs.btrfs -fq /dev/sdb
>                                               |_btrfs_contol_ioctl()
>                                                 |_btrfs_scan_one_device(...
> &fs_devices)
>                                                   |_::
>
> |_btrfs_free_stale_devices()
>
>   |_btrfs_open_devices(fs_devices ..) <-- stale fs_devices.
>
> Fix this with a mutually exclusive flag BTRFS_VOL_FLAG_EXCL_OPS.

I'm not sure this is the right way to fix it, adding another bit to the
uuid_mutex and device_list_mutex combo.

To fix the race between mount and mkfs we can add a bit of logic to the
device scanning so that mount calling scan will track the purpose and
mkfs scan will not be allowed to free that device.