waxhead wrote:

> Jukka Larja wrote:
>> waxhead wrote 24.6.2018 klo 1.01:

>>> I think not, and here's why: I am asking the BTRFS developers a
>>> general question , with some basis as to why I became curious. The
>>> question is simply what (if any) are the biggest technical issues in
>>> BTRFS because one must expect that if anyone is going to give me a
>>> credible answer it must be the people that hack on BTRFS and
>>> understand what they are working on and not the stratis guys. It would
>>> surprise me if they knew better than the BTRFS devs.
>>
>> I think the problem with that question is that it is too general.
>> Duncan's post already highlights several things that could be a
>> significant problem for some user while being non-issue for most.
>> Without more specific problem description, best you can hope for is
>> speculation on things that Btrfs currently does badly.
>>
>> -Jukka Larja
>
> Well, I still don't agree (apparently I am starting to become
> difficult). There is a "roadmap" on the BTRFS wiki that describes
> features implemented and feature planned for example. Naturally people
> are working on improvements to existing features and prep-work for new
> features. If some of this work is not moving ahead due to design issues
> it sounds likely that someone would know about it by now.

This one doesn't seem to be moving ahead, while it seems like a very
promising one: Hot data tracking and moving to faster devices (or provided
on the generic VFS layer)

It would be really fantastic to just add a ssd to a pool of hdd's and have
fsync sensitive stuff run normally (dpkg on raid10 with 50 snapshots
currently can take hours to do a few minute job)