"A.R. (Tom) Peters" wrote:

Your proposed list format is as follows.
Preferred:      DNS
Definition1:    uhh ... "Internet Protocol (port 53?) to translate
between
Definition2:    computer names (Fully Qualified Domain Names) and
Definition3:    numerical IP adresses (Dotted Quad numbers)."
Deprecated:     domain name server, ip address resolution, name
resolution

--------

It is very difficult for me to determine where the "Preferred" word is.
I think it would only be more difficult if it is in a long list of
terms.

I think a more "Readable" format would be to list the preferred term on
the left, with its definitions in order, followed by deprecated terms.
This would allow the preferred term to be easily looked up.  However, it
would make finding deprecated terms more difficult (than finding
preferred terms, not than your method).  So, we could list those as
well.  I would propose something like:

DNS                 1)"Internet Protocol (port 53?) to translate
                      between. . .
                    2)computer names (Fully Qualified Domain Names
                    3)numerical IP adresses (Dotted Quad numbers)."
                    -Deprecated- domain name server, ip address
                     resolution, name resolution

domain name server  -Deprecated Term- Use DNS

This is only a short example, but I think you can get my point.

Forrest