Forrest Tiffany wrote:

> Alan & Susan Mead wrote:
> >
> > I have drafted a series of item writing guidelines for the LPI exams  Please
> > review them and let me know how I can make them better.  Thanks!
>
> Under "Write approved styles"
>
> When writing scenario items, [add some advice here]
>
> Make sure the scenario is plausible.  If a question is to test what
> should be
> done in a specific situation, make sure that the answers will have the
> same
> results across all kernel levels, distributions, and package levels, or
> specify which ones it should work with.  Also, make sure that the
> correct
> answer is what would actually be done by a seasoned administrator, not
> just
> the way you do it (i.e. check the man pages).

When writing multiple choice questions,  I usually  make one foil very close to
the correct answer. This helps to eliminate guesswork on the part of the
learners.

Also, in IT "There's always another to do it" , so care must be taken that
correct answers are not ambiguous. This is best done by clearly stating learning
objectives,  so the learner knows exactly what it is that he / she  is trying to
accomplish

As an experienced trainer , I have a great deal of interest in the Linux
Certification project.  I am presently involved in the Webmaster program at
Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia.  This program involves training in
Unix / Linux, and course content largely reflects the IT demands of businesses.
Course descriptions are available at  http://tuweb.ucis.dal.ca/home_nf.html .
This program includes Unix-based courses which I believe provide realistic
content.  I'm not trying to sell a program, just provide example of training
content.  Anyway, this mailing list is a great idea,  I'm looking forward to
being involved with this group.

Thanks
Jim McIntyre