From: Jared Buckley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Friday, September 03, 1999 4:28 PM
Subject: Revised: A Proposed Concensus for Recertification and Renewal

>Here's draft number two of the concensus:
>
>Recertification:
>
>LPI will not require certificate holders to renew or recertify.  LPI
>will keep records of the test(s) passed and the revision date/level(s)
>of the passed test(s).  LPI reserves the right to expire (cease to
>recognize) specific certifications that are more than two years old.

Does this mean we will ignore (keep no record of) tests failed?  I think
that's a good idea but I wanted to make sure I wasn't assuming.  BTW, what's
our policy on retesting?

What does EXPIRE mean?  If we will     not require certificate holders to
renew or recertify       then I think it must mean     marked as expired but
otherwise unchanged and retreivable by a background checker who visits the
LPI site      .  I would agree to that (I would use a different word than
expire like    recommend recertification      ).  I take it that this
expiration would happen only after (at least) 2 years since the person
passed an exam?  I think the complaints by Forrest and Kenneth are based in
part on misreadings of this so please clarify.

>Exam Renewal Consensus:
>
>LPI will revise the content of its exams in order to provide for new
>material, test validity, security, and to incorporate feedback from
>experience as deemed necessary, but not less frequently than every two
>years.

This issue is partly economic and logistical but, without knowing the
details of the administration system, we *should* be able to pretest items
and monitor item exposure.  I would prefer to revise content at a more
constant pace rather than big projects every 12 to 24 months.  For example,
if we find out that an item is miskeyed or there is a typo (it happens to
ETS), won't we revise the test immediately in some (small) way?  This is, of
course, how Linux software releases work (there are multiple minor revisions
which build to a major revision).

Thus, unless this conflicts with the constraints we have to accept from the
administration outfit, I feel that you consider revising it to something
like:

Exam Renewal Consensus:

LPI will continually review and revise its exams in order to provide for new
material, to ensure test validity, security, and to incorporate feedback
from experience.  Changes will occur as deemed neccessary and without
warning.  Changes in Linux and the Linux field will be the primary
influences on decisions to revise test content.

And if you like, you can add (but I think you needn't): We anticipate that
test content will be substantially revised within a 24 month period.

If it is not feasible to change exams frequently, I suggest we have a goal
of, say, quarterly revisions which might build to a complete revision within
24 months.

-Alan