Ken Lund said

All of the Companies that I would want to work for hire "TALENT" not
certificates... So a certification really does not hold a lot of water,
it is
just an indicator of the talented person's commitment to that subject
area.

Marcus responded
In my experience recruitment is not done by technical people but by
personnell people. The initial sifting of resumes is
done on the basis of certificaiton. Its an ass covering exercise. If the
person turns out to be hopeless then they can at least
say "but she was certified". It is less arguable than "she interviewed
well". In an ideal world the people doing the selection
would be familiar with the technology.

Ken Lund said
Microsoft does not hire MCSE's.

Marcus responded
Cos they are in the business of writing software (allegedly) not in the
installation/support business.

Ken Lund said
Why do you think that is? They hire talent!
That is what has created the company today. Agree or not with
Microsoft's direction
they are still, and will be for a while, the dominating force in the
commercial
computing world.

Marcus  responded
Yep, and have you noticed how few Microsofts are around?. I think billg
is smart to get em young, cheap, impressionable and
most of all talented. It's probably the way recruitment should be done,
hire a person not a set of qualifications. After all drive, brains,
talent, curiosity are what really count. But now imagine you are a non
technical personnel individual faced with two resumes. One from someone
who says they are smart and one who has a bit of paper from

Sun/Microsoft/Novell/LinuxCertsUnlimited

Who gets the interview...?

Ken Lund said
With the advent of Linux coupled with all the GNU tools, that have been
developed over a number of years, we could be entering into another
level in
computing in the commercial market. Microsoft created the MCSE and the
market
for it. Do we have to follow suit? Or is their maybe a better, more
elegant,
solution to hiring talented people?

Marcus responded
This is not a technical problem, it is a perception and people problem.
If you develop a certification plan, the cluefree will cling to it to
justify hiring decision. If you don't like this you probably shouldn't
be involved with any certificaiton plans. It's sad but if its successful
it will happen.

I don't know the answers, but I do know there has to be a better way
then
"certification" or at least a very different approach to certification.

Marcus responded
Me neither.

Let me know if I'm just an idealist or if we can actually change and
"think

Marcus responded
Your an idealist and I've taken too many stupid industry certifications
and followed this same
circular debate since passing the CNE exam in 1992. Before I took the
CNE I couldn't spell Programer, now I are one.

Marcus
Now can I plug my fabulous all free non commercial Java Programmer
Certification site with exam simulators, FA,Q tutorials and the kind of
stuff I fancy porting to a Linux certification when the moment arrives.
Roll up roll up to

http://www.software.u-net.com