Here's the long and the short of it...if Human Resource departments were
staffed with Linux/IT professionals, then certification would be a moot
point.  The fact is, most HR depts are staffed with folks who have
trouble navigating Windoze.  These are the people in an enterprise
operation who are going to do the initial screening of resumes.
Certification makes candidates stand out from the crowd.

Certification does not relieve the employer of the burden of critically
evaluating the real abilities of their potential employees, but it does
make the process much easier for them by providing a self-selected group
of individuals who ostensibly enjoy and have ability in a given
technical field.

Jared