On 10/16/2015 04:05 PM, Stephen Boyd wrote:
> On 10/16, York Sun wrote:

>>> This driver should always use clk_get() then. If the mode is
>>> device tree, clk_get() will lookup the clock in DT and get it
>>> from there. If the mode is platform data, then we'll fallback to
>>> the clkdev method of clk_get(), which will look for a clk_lookup
>>> created for the device calling clk_get() + the connection id that
>>> was provided by the lookup creator. This driver should always
>>> call clk_put() on the clock when it's done with it, regardless of
>>> DT vs. platform data.
>>>

>> For the platform data mode, I think it is up to the consumer to get and put
>> the
>> parent clocks. The current code is to pass (struct clk *) pointers as parent
>> clocks. Are you suggesting to pass the name of parent clocks?
>>

> I'm suggesting to register clocks with clkdev using a device name
> that matches the consumer. The consumer (this driver?) will
> simply call clk_get() and clk_put() then, nothing else is needed.
> I'm not suggesting to pass the names of the parent clocks. It
> sounds like those are inputs to this device, so we should be
> calling clk_get() with a device and a connection id to get the
> clock.

Stephen,

I am still having difficulty to implement this. The platform device doesn't know
the clock device id when probing the clock chip. For my case, the platform
device is a PCIe device, with I2C controller on it. The clock chip is on the I2C
bus. When the PCIe device is probed, it registers the parent clocks for si5338
before calling i2c_new_probed_device(). At this moment, the si5338 doesn't have
an instance yet. So the parent clock pointer(s) in platform data structure
is/are passed.

I have another solution, let the platform data has clk pointer(s). The clock
driver for si5338 will use device tree of_clk_get() if device tree is used, or
take the pointer(s) from platform data. Upon driver removal, this driver call
clk_put() regardless where the pointer(s) came from. The change will be in my
platform device driver. It doesn't need to call clk_put again.

Would it be acceptable?

York