Sorry for top posting. I am on outlook web.

We have no problem with device tree. Let's put it aside.

When device is not used, the platform data is used to hold the data, filled by
a platform device before probing the clock. For my case, the platform device is
a PCIe device. It is a multifunction device with I2C controller on it. The
pseudo code looks like

struct i2c_board_info si5338_info[NUM_SI5338_CHIPS] = {
        {
                .type = "si5338",
                .platform_data = &si5338_pdata[0],
        },
        {
                .type = "si5338",
                .platform_data = &si5338_pdata[1],
        },
        {
                .type = "si5338",
                .platform_data = &si5338_pdata[2],
        },
        {
                .type = "si5338",
                .platform_data = &si5338_pdata[3],
        },
};
clk = clk_register_fixed_rate(&pdev->dev, "ref25", NULL, CLK_IS_ROOT, 25000000);
for (i = 0; i < NUM_SI5338_CHIPS; i++) {
    si5338_pdata[i].clk_xtal = clk;
    adap = i2c_get_adapter(private->i2c_adp->nr + 1 + i);
    private->i2c_client[i] = i2c_new_probed_device(adap, &si5338_info[i],
i2c_si5338_addr, NULL);
}

You can see, when the fixed-rate clock is registered, the device id of si5338
is unknown yet. (I am using one 25MHz clock to feed multiple si5338, where
maybe I should create multiple 25MHz clocks, but that's another discussion.)

I hope I have made it clear.

York