Linux-Development-Sys Digest #382, Volume #6      Sun, 7 Feb 99 13:14:21 EST

Contents:
  Re: Process shared semaphores (Pthreads) (David Wragg)
  Re: C/C++ docs? (Markus Schutz)
  Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD? (Dan O'Reilly)
  Re: A question about mount (Vladymyr Iljyc Lenin)
  Re: addition of system calls (Alexander Viro)
  Re: disheartened gnome developer (Navindra Umanee)
  Re: gcc-lib in RH4.2 and RH5.1 problem!!! (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD? (Ong Lon Voon)
  Re: New free widget library: Notif-0.1 (Emile van Bergen)
  Copying RH 5.2 CDs (sabunimjw)
  Re: disheartened gnome developer (steve mcadams)
  Trying to write modules, insmod error ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  kernel 2.2.x and ZIPdrive (Christian Uhde)
  Re: disheartened gnome developer (Michael Powe)
  Redhat RPM update problem (Kelvin Tam)
  Winmodems and Linux ("Ernst C.Land, Jr.")
  Driver vs. Daemon quesiton (Ross Vandegrift)
  Re: Winmodems and Linux (Byron A Jeff)
  linux help channel (lattin96)
  Re: disheartened gnome developer (Matthias Warkus)

From: David Wragg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Process shared semaphores (Pthreads)
Date: 05 Feb 1999 17:44:10 +0000

"D. Emilio Grimaldo Tunon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>    Anybody knows when on earth Linux's PThreads (LinuxThreads/glib)
> is going to support process-shared semaphores and p-s
> condition variables? I am looking for 'drop-in' replacement for
> the pthread_mutexattr_setpshared() and pthread_condattr_setpshared()
> functions.

I'm not aware of anyone working on it. Putting inter-process
synchronization facilities into a threads standard always seemed ugly
to me.

Perhaps you could implement them on top of the SysV IPC facilities, or
just convert your code to use SysV IPC?

> Also, these functions are Optional in the POSIX standard, but
> they are required in the Unix98 standard, since kernel 2.2 is
> supposed to have some (most? all?) Unix98 conformance, I wonder
> if 2.2 does support these two problem-makers?

Unix98 conformance is a general goal, so if you or someone else does a
nice implementation of the process-shared pthreads facilities, there
should be a good chance of getting it integrated into
glibc/linuxthreads/Linux. But Unix98 conformance will only be achieved
in the areas people care enough about to work on, and full Unix98
conformance will never happen (e.g. STREAMS/TLI).

Dave Wragg

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 02:19:12 +0100
From: Markus Schutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C/C++ docs?

The Linux API? Oh, you probably want to know more about the C library
functions I guess.
There are info and man pages.

Man-pages:
man <topic>
example: man fprintf

Info-pages:
info, or 'ctrl-h i' in emacs

There you'll find the very sparse online documentation. They rarely have
examples, as they are intended for fast online references.

If you want to learn how to program in a Unix environement, then you'll
be better of with a book. "Advanced Programming in the UNIX
Environment", W. Richard Stevens, Addison-Wesley Professional Computing
Series, ISBN: 0-201-56317-7, is a good starter.

Hope this helps,
Markus

--
A designer  knows  he has achieved perfection  not  when there is
                                         Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan O'Reilly)
Subject: Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD?
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 22:01:13 GMT

How does one go about creating a bootable LINUX RedHat 5.2 CD?  I have
an HP 7200 IDE CD burner on my PC.

------------------------------

From: Vladymyr Iljyc Lenin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A question about mount
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 02:27:42 +0100

mkk wrote:

> Is there a way to add a hard disk ( or partition ) without affecting the
> directory structure ? I mean 'mount' not only adds physical storage but
> ADDS TO THE LOGICAL STRUCTURE OF MY FILESYSTEM. I'd rather have
> something which would let the system think that my drive has more
> capacity and not reflect the physical structure onto my logical
> structure.
>
> TIA
>
> Khalid

yes, this is future of kernel, that has been known as multiple device
it's in block devices
you must enable this and linear append mode
more information you will see in documentation, i was never using this
feature

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Subject: Re: addition of system calls
Date: 6 Feb 1999 22:24:40 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Arun Sharma  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Marx Rajangam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
[snip]
        use assoc(), not syscall(...)

>Use "strace" to trace exactly what's going on.
Erm??? strace of WHAT? gcc? ld? It's a link-time error, damnit!
                Al, who *had* to read strace of ld. Boy, it was ugly!

--
  Think of the linux kernel community as a large cluster of hairy SMP systems.
Changing anything in the way people write code requires flushing a huge number

------------------------------

From: Navindra Umanee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: disheartened gnome developer
Date: 7 Feb 1999 03:35:14 GMT

steve mcadams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What are you using to read news?  emacs or vi?  I'm looking to learn

Tin actually, but I'm using Emacs as the editor.

> emacs, have looked at vi (first in '92 on a RS6000-AIX system, then
> last year when I had Red Hat 5.1 installed, and I want nothing to do
> with vi <sheepish grin, don't want to offend anyone's religious
> beliefs>.  Can you use emacs to read mail?  Offline?

Sure.  Gnus, VM mail, rmail are all ways of reading mail in Emacs.
I'm not sure what you mean by offline.  Personally, I scp my mail over
to my local computer and use Mutt to read it anyway.

If it's a random sig inserter you're interested in.  Try something like:

(require 'cl)

(push '("\\.article.*" . random-sig) auto-mode-alist)

(defun random-sig ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (save-restriction
      (insert-string "\n-- \n")
      (call-process "/usr/games/fortune" nil t))))

You might still use the daemon idea and make your .signature file a
named pipe.

-N.
--
"These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format.  After unzipping,
these files can be viewed in any text editor, including all versions of

------------------------------

From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: gcc-lib in RH4.2 and RH5.1 problem!!!
Date: 06 Feb 1999 22:00:08 -0500

Phongsak Prasithsangaree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> We are developing a program under Linux Redhat 4.2.  It can be compiled
> very well and we can run the executable.
> Then, we try to compile the source code of this program again under
> Linux Redhat 5.1.  We got a lot of problems for example, the missing
> include files, dependency, and etc.
>
> Can anyone tell us what is the different between compiling gcc and g++
> under RH42 and RH51?

The major difference is the new C library.  For RedHat 4.2 you need to
configure GCC with target i686-pc-linux-gnulibc1.  For RedHat 5.[012] you need
to configure GCC with target i686-pc-linux-gnu (feel free to replace the i686
with i586 if you want the code optimized for a Pentium by default instead of
Pentium-II, or i486/i386 for those machines).

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions (Massachusetts office)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

------------------------------

From: Ong Lon Voon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Create Bootable RH 5.2 CD?
Date: 7 Feb 1999 04:07:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Dan O'Reilly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>How does one go about creating a bootable LINUX RedHat 5.2 CD?  I have
>an HP 7200 IDE CD burner on my PC.

Hi,

This is the makecd script I use:

#!/bin/sh
FLAGS="-eject -v dev=5,0 speed=4"
# needed to fix wrong permissions from current mirror
chmod a+x RedHat-i386/RedHat/base/rpmconvert
chmod a+x RedHat-i386/RedHat/instimage/usr/bin/*
chmod a-x RedHat-i386/RedHat/instimage/usr/bin/ls-lR*
mkisofs -r -J -T -b images/boot.img -c images/boot.catalog \
-A "Redhat/i386 Apollo" -V "Redhat/i386 5.2" RedHat-i386/ \
| cdrecord $FLAGS $1 -
Ong Lon Voon                          Webworks Pte Ltd
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  103A, Geylang Road
Engineering                           Singapore 389212

------------------------------

From: Emile van Bergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.windows.x,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: New free widget library: Notif-0.1
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 11:55:02 +0100

Joseph H Allen wrote:

> Ok, I'm going to update Notif to address this issue.  I'm hacking
> continuation handling into the callback system.  Whenever a callback
> function is executed, a new context will be run or an existing context will
> be continued.  I'm going to avoid the use of the word 'thread', and use
> 'context' instead, because I don't want to give the impression that any kind
> of pre-emptive multithreading is occuring.  This is strictly cooperative
> multithreading (thread switches only happen during callback execution),
> which is probably far safer than real multithreading for most GUI systems).

This is a very nice solution to the 'I need pervasive event-drivenness'
problem! Really, it's as clean as one could get it, judging from the
above.

But wouldn't it be nice to provide _two_ toolkits:

One passive GUI toolkit, which works along the lines of the example in
my previous post; and

One optional EVENT toolkit, which can work together with the GUI toolkit
and provides its solution if an application programmer needs pervasive
event-drivenness in his/her appliaction...?

Just an idea... ;-)

And anyway, so nice of you to respond... thanks!

--

M.vr.gr. / Best regards,

Emile van Bergen (e-mail address: [EMAIL PROTECTED])

This e-mail message is 100% electronically degradeable and produced
on a GNU/Linux system.

------------------------------

From: sabunimjw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Copying RH 5.2 CDs
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 03:54:57 GMT

 Can some one tell me if there is a trick to copying the RH CDs I have
made to unsuccessful attempts. 1) CD to CD   2) from the Harddrive
neither one wants to work

I'm using a Yamaha 4260 with Nero CDrom Burning Software

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

JW

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (steve mcadams)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 00:57:08 GMT

[Snipped for brevity, quoted material marked with ">"]
On 6 Feb 1999 06:36:13 GMT, Navindra Umanee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Besides, what sense does it make to have a daemon instead of
>generating the sig on the fly?  Both Emacs and Vi can handle that
>(check for .article*, .mutt-*, .slrn-*, .pine-* files or whatever).

What are you using to read news?  emacs or vi?  I'm looking to learn
emacs, have looked at vi (first in '92 on a RS6000-AIX system, then
last year when I had Red Hat 5.1 installed, and I want nothing to do
with vi <sheepish grin, don't want to offend anyone's religious
beliefs>.  Can you use emacs to read mail?  Offline?  -steve
so what?  -  http://www.codetools.com/showcase

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Trying to write modules, insmod error
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 06:52:28 GMT

Hi there.  Haven't been following the 2.1 development, but I do want to learn
to write modules and kernel stuff.  So, I bought the book LINUX DEVICE
DRIVERS (O'reilley).  The simple Hello, World module worked in 2.0.36, but in
2.2 it said that printk was undefined when I tried to link/run it with
insmod.

Also, I now get the following:

insmod helloworld

./helloworld.o: couldn't find the kernel version the module was compiled for

When I try to insmod real modules (eg parport), everything works fine.  Did I
screw something up?  here is the source to my stupid little module:

#include <linux/modversions.h>
#include <linux/kernel.h>
#include <linux/malloc.h>

int init_module(void) {
  printk("<1>Hello World\n");
  return 0;
}

void cleanup_module(void) {
  printk("<1>Goodbye cruel world\n");
}

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm sure it's my fault!!!!!!!

Sean
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Christian Uhde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kernel 2.2.x and ZIPdrive
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 11:17:53 +0000

hi,

while copying a large amount of data from my harddisk (ext2) to my
zipdisk (ext2, /dev/hdd) the zipdrive hangs - it's not possible to
kill-9 the cp task. there are no error messages in syslog, so don't ask
me details ;)

with kernel 2.0.36 it works without problems. does anyone have
experiences with this ?

bye
chris.

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: 06 Feb 1999 22:15:23 -0800

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kelvin Tam)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Redhat RPM update problem
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 10:10:12 GMT

I run genhdlist to generate the new hdlist for Red Hat 5.2 but I
encountered an segmentation fault error and the probelm got
terminated. The genhdlist I used is contained in Red Hat 5.2 CDROM
"misc/src/install" directory. Does anyone know what's the cause or how
to fix it? Thanks.

regards,
Kelvin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Ernst C.Land, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Winmodems and Linux
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 15:10:52 GMT

Hi all, Just a quick question: has anyone figured out how to to make a
"Winmodem" work with Linux?

Thanks, Ernst C. Land, Jr.

------------------------------

From: Ross Vandegrift <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Driver vs. Daemon quesiton
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 12:01:39 -0500

I have started looking into the kernel interface for /dev/dsp, and I
really no longer see it as a thing that can be done as we planned it.  I
am totally unable to find a kernel driver that uses another kernel
driver - because, I imagine, it is impossible.  I am thinking that a
daemon would be better.  It would work the same way, dynamically
creating /dev/leaf, and mixing the same way, but I can't think of a
reason (or indeed, a way) to make this a kernel module.  If there are
any suggestion as to what path I should take, by all means, lay it on
me!

--
Ross Vandegrift | Eric J. Fenderson

A novice was trying to fix a broken Lisp machine by turning the power
off and on.  Knight, seeing what the student was doing spoke sternly:
"You can not fix a machine by just power-cycling it with no
understanding of what is going wrong."  Knight turned the machine off
and on.  The machine worked.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff)
Subject: Re: Winmodems and Linux
Date: 7 Feb 1999 12:28:06 -0500

Posted and Mailed....

In article <02iv2.5674$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Ernst C.Land, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi all, Just a quick question: has anyone figured out how to to make a
>"Winmodem" work with Linux?

Ernst,

Next time you may want to make a 5 minute detour to www.dejanews.com and
do a search on linux winmodem. You would have had your answer already and
it would have saved the net at least two messages (yours and mine)

The answer is a flat no. Windmodem manufacturers have neither made Linux
drivers available for their products nor have they released enough information
for such a driver to be written.

Someone has coined a good phrase for this: Lack of vendor support.

And unlike some other efforts winmodems are probably impossible to reverse
engineer simply because there isn't a easy place to insert a monitor in order
to figure out what's going on. It's also complicated by the fact that the
software is generating/parsing audio streams. It almost like sending in a
recording of a symphony into a system then asking the system to generate the
score from the recording.

In short if the vendors choose not to support Linux, winmodems will probably
will probaby never work with anything other than Windows.

BAJ

------------------------------

From: lattin96 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux help channel
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 00:02:02 +0000

I have made a new linux help channel on dal net the channel is
#linuxhelpers it is for people wanting to help or people in need of
help.with redhat,suse,slackware or other dist. development answers also
Thomas W

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 01:34:11 +0000

It was the 6 Feb 1999 06:36:13 GMT...
..and Navindra Umanee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Christopher Browne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>Thank you for posting this, but I'd rather have a demon that calls
> >>fortune(6) every three minutes or so and writes a cookie to my
> >>signature file.
> >
> > I run the one posted every couple hours...  It doesn't examine multiple
>
> Besides, what sense does it make to have a daemon instead of
> generating the sig on the fly?  Both Emacs and Vi can handle that
> (check for .article*, .mutt-*, .slrn-*, .pine-* files or whatever).

Using a daemon is a more general solution, I dare say. It looks more
elegant to me, too.

Of course there are people who have a named pipe as their
signature... I wonder how that works, I once made a pipe and let
fortune pipe its output into it, it didn't have the desired effect.

mawa
--
I got it bad
You don't know how bad I got it