From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VFAT problems with Kernel 2.2.18
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:01:25 +0000

Keith Hulse wrote:

> Hi, I am relatively new to Linux and I have a problem after compiling the
> new 2.2.18 kernel. My floppy, zip, and Windows drives (yes I am running
> Win98 as well!) are not mounted. The message I get is along the lines of:
> These file systems are not supported by 2.2.18.
>
> The kernel is compiling autofs and using it but I don't know where to go
> next. Can anyone help.
>
> Keith Hulse
>
> --

It is posible to use theese drives from Linux 2.2.18.
For harddisk partitions the best solution is probably
to add appropriate lines to /etc/fstab. Add a line
similair to this:
/dev/hda1 /mnt/C vfat defaults 0 0
Here I assume it is partition number 1 and that you
have created an empty directory named /mnt/C.

If this does not work it might be because vfat is
not loaded. Try "cat /proc/filesystems" to see which
filesystems is currently loaded.

Floppy and zip drives are removable media and should
thus be handled different. Before using autofs I
suggest you try mounting filesystems manually.
First try this command "cat /dev/fd0 >/dev/null"
to verify that the floppy driver can be loaded.
Second verify that the filesystem type in /etc/fstab
for the floppy drive is set to auto then try
"mount /mnt/floppy"

I have no experience with zip drives but if you are
using a paralell port version all the information
should be available on
<URL:http://www.torque.net/parport/paride.html>
and with Linux 2.2.18 also in the file
linux/Documentation/paride.txt

If you are using an internal version it might be
even simpler you probably have to use one of the
devicenames: /dev/hda, /dev/hda1, /dev/hdb ...
Add the line to /etc/fstab and use it like a
floppy.

Hope this helps you getting started.

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DNS Serving
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:12:55 +0000

Michael Faurot wrote:

[...]
> Technically you need to have two DNS servers per domain.  So if all you
> have is one IP address and one machine, you're going to need someone to
> play secondary for you.

[...]

Can't you do without? Of course two servers
in theory will be more stable. but since all
names in the domain point to the same IP
address I don't think you would gain anything.

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: removing mouse causes Linux to crash/hang. kernel 2.4
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:26:20 +0000

Robert Redelmeier wrote:

> > linux 2.4.0-test7 #3 SMP
> >
> > I found out that, if I remove the cable of the mouse from the
> > back of the PC, linux hangs. had to reboot. this happens everytime.
>
> PS/2 or serial mouse?  PS/2 is not hot [un]pluggable and I'd
> expect a hang if not hardware damage from hot unplugging.
> AFAIK, RS232 serial ports are designed for hot-plugging and
> shouldn't suffer.
>
> -- Robert

I have a PS/2 mouse and a PS/2 keyboard and
run Linux 2.2.x. I can hot [un]plug both
without any major problems.

I have to make a single switch between X
and textmode before the mouse works again.

Fidling with keyboard cable does cause some
ghost keypresses. And the keyboard will not
remember its internal state lake leds. I
found that the keyboard driver used under
DOS detects the keyboard being pluged in
makes a beep and updates the keyboards
state.

But if this should not be possible why is
it that DOS supports it?

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: It it kernel's problem?
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:40:35 +0000

Chih-Chang Hsieh wrote:

> Hello, all,
> Is this is the right place to ask such a question?
> We are running school web server on Linux 2.2.18.
> But it crashes yesterday, we got following messages:
> Has anyone get the same problem? Our H/W is:
>
>         PIII 800 * 2
>         1 GB RAM
>         U2W (sym53c895) SCSI interace
>         60 GB RAID
>
> How could we solve this problem? Thanks in advance!

[...]

Are you able to reproduce the problem?
If you are it will be so much easier
to find the cause.

I would guess that there is some race
condition in the kernel. If you can
reproduce the problem try if you also
can do that runing a kernel compiled
without smp support.

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: QUESTIONS about kernel trace
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 16:13:59 +0000

paul wrote:

> Sorry, I am junior in Linux!
> Perhaps, they are not smart questions!
> Because I do not know where to find its answer!!
>
> <0> what is the shortest way to debug kernel?!
>         It is so slow to add printk, rebuild zImage , download zImage and
> try to boot ....
>
> <1>  I read some books and documents about the kernel boot
>         I get the sequence from them.....
>         BOOTSECT.S,HEAD.S,.....-> start_kernel() in main.c -> mount root,
> init....
>         but I had traced the start_kernel() in main(), I found a function
> init() started
>
> after the start_kernel().
>         My questions is that
>                 calling "start_kernel()",and then "init()" (all in main.c)
> is definitely sequence?!
>                 (I use ARM-LINUX, maybe not in X86-linux?)
>
> <2>  "__init" (in front of functions) has any other meaning?!
>             such as AUTO-RUN by kernel?!.....
> <3>  about the "__initcall()"?!
>         I trace how the "cdu31a_init()" in cdu31a.c start (if cdu31a.o is
> built-in-driver)!!
>         cdu31a_init() <- blk_dev_init() <- device_init() <-
> partition_setup()
>         but finally end in  "__initcall(partition_setup())" in the tail of
> fs/partitions/check.c
>         what is  the meaning?! auto-start?!
>         or how does it start?!......and so do aha1542_setup() , h8_init()
> <4> what kind of driver must be built-in-driver in kernel (not
> module-driver)?
>
> ---------------
> paulong

0) If the part of the kernel you want to debug can be
   compiled as a module then that can speed up things.

1) Start_kernel() is called before multitasking is
   posible, when start_kernel() has done its job it
   creates an entry in the tasklist that will call
   init(), this process is assigned pid 1. Then
   start_kernel() gives up the CPU and init() takes
   over. Init() will do more setup and finaly load
   /sbin/init. When start_kernel() gives up the CPU
   the scheduler believes it is process number 0,
   which will be given the CPU again when no other
   process wants it, therefore start_kernel() enters
   the idle loop when it gets control again.

2) Autorun like gcc's constructors would be a nice
   idea, but the kernel does not (yet) have that.
   __init means that this code is only used at boot
   and can be freed later, that saves around 60KB of
   memory.

3) I think __initcall is similair to __init, but I'm
   not sure.

4) Since a module must be loaded from a file
   everything that is needed before the filesystem
   is available must be compiled into the kernel.
   Eg. the filesystem and devicedriver for your
   root partition (or initrd) must be in the
   kernel.

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: System monitoring commands
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 17:30:39 +0100

David Rydzewski wrote:

> I guess I should be more clear. I'd like to create a program that can
> utilize these system commands for gathering system data for benchmarking. I
> think xosview is probably a graphical x-windows tool that could not be
> utilized from another program.
>
> Perhaps what I need is a C library that enables system calls for information
> on memory, CPU, and I/O utilization. I'm not a C expert, so does anyone know
> of any libraries / functions I could research and possibly use?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

[...]

All the information is available from files
in the /proc directory and subdirectories.
I think there is a library named proclib
that can make some things easier.

--
Kasper Dupont

------------------------------

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A faster memcpy and bzero for x86
Date: 30 Dec 2000 16:32:59 GMT

> many--too much cache distruction.  But blowing away the caches is not
> as harmful on an idle machine as one working that wants to write RAM.

all recent processors have means to store *through* the cache;
any kernel pre-zeroing should definitely use this.
(the CPU/chipset's write buffers collect/burstify such writes.)

------------------------------

From: Todd Knarr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 30 Dec 2000 17:04:40 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.system <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Kasper Dupont
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Can't you do without? Of course two servers
> in theory will be more stable. but since all
> names in the domain point to the same IP
> address I don't think you would gain anything.

Nope, because it's not a technical requirement. NSI won't accept the
registration record into the DNS database unless you have two seperate
nameservers for it. You might want to run a search for DNS hosting
services if your ISP is charging that much, I think there's several
places out there that do just DNS and nothing else and don't charge
horrendous amounts. The reverse zone may be more problematical, since
it really needs to be set up and probably only your ISP can set it up
since they control the relevant reverse zone for your IP addresses.

--
Remember: every member of your 'target audience' also owns a broadcasting
station. These 'targets' can shoot back.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 17:43:52 GMT

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:12:55 +0000, Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Michael Faurot wrote:

>Can't you do without?

I don't know what today's policy is (it may have changed in the last 15
minutes), but it used to be that Network Solutions wouldn't register a
domain without two servers.  Other registrars may differ of course.

> Of course two servers in theory will be more stable. but since all
> names in the domain point to the same IP address I don't think you
> would gain anything.

You're supposed to have two servers on different networks.  The normal
situation is your server and your ISP's server, or you and a buddy trade
services.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Vinko Vrsalovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Toronto, Kylix is coming!
Date: 30 Dec 2000 18:15:32 GMT

In comp.os.linux.development.system jefxxx@x <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <cMW16.178435$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "John says...

> I think Kylix is important, becuase of the millions of windows VB
> programmers, who might want to program on linux (or try it). Delphi
> on Linux is the tool they would use (since there is no VB on linux),
> since Delphi is the closest thing to VB there is.

Delphi is far from even being similar to VB, the only thing those
two have in common is the neat (?) interface for placing widgets
and attributes for those widgets.

> I also think OO pascal is really a neat language too.

Yes, it is a nice language, but not too nice either :)

It will be interesting to see what products will Kylix bring to Linux and
at what quality level.

--
V. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
We are Pentium of Borg. Division is futile. You will be approximated.

------------------------------

From: Oleg Levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cpu count
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 19:43:55 GMT

Hello, all

May be somebody knows how can I determine the number of CPU, without
parsing
/proc/stat or /proc/cpuinfo files ?

Thanks
Oleg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: device driver dev
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 23:24:35 -0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ionel GARDAIS  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have a Canon LBP 460 Laser printer.
>
>But it only works under Windows OS.
>Damned !
>
>I'm looking for some sample code to develop a kind of device driver to
>emulate the windows drivers that shape datas before to send them to the
>printer.

Check out gimp-print.  It might support that printer.

--
http://www.spinics.net/linux

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: redirecting stdin to a memory buffer
Date: 31 Dec 2000 01:06:31 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bob Steele wrote:
>Does anyone know how to redirect stdin to a memory buffer in C. I am
>using glibc 2.2 with GCC on a Red Had 7.0 linux box.
>
>For example:
>stdin=(FILE *)freopen("test.txt","r",stdin);  correctly redirects stdin
>to a file "test.txt".
>
>However, since there is no reopen function for memory buffers, I am
>forced to use;
>
>fclose(stdin);
>stdin=(FILE *)fmemopen(buffer,strlen(buffer),"r");
[-]
Works fine for me -- what's that (FILE *) for though ? You had
better use -D_GNU_SOURCE to avoid a warning.

>According to the GNU man GLIBC web pages, this should redirect stdin to
>read input from the buffer. Unfortunately, this does not seem to work.
>It simply returns an EOF character indicating an error condition.
[-]
It does, here's a slightly modified example.

#include <stdio.h>
static char buffer[] = "foobar";

int
main()
{
  int ch;

  fclose(stdin);
  stdin = fmemopen (buffer, strlen (buffer), "r");
  while((ch = fgetc (stdin)) != EOF)
         printf ("Got %c\n", ch);

  return 0;
}

If it doesn't work for you it's a RH problem

Cheers,
Juergen

--
\ Real name     : Jürgen Heinzl         \       no flames      /
 \ EMail Private : [EMAIL PROTECTED] \ send money instead /

------------------------------

From: spicerun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with mounting new filesystem coding please...
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 01:39:05 GMT

Hello All,

I'll probably will hate myself when you guys point out my obvious error,
but I've been looking
at this for some and pulling out my hair.

I am trying to make the filesystem modules for an unknown OS
(Microware's OS9000).  I have
gotten my code to successfully register itself with the kernel
(2.4.0smp-test12) upon the insmod.  But my problem
is that everytime I try the mount ("mount -t os9000 /dev/fd0
/mnt/os9000), I keep getting a
kernel oops.  I'm having a very hard time trying to find out where I
haven't set a pointer that
mount is trying to use.  Can somebody give me some clues please?  I'm
using gcc-2.95.2 with
bin-tools 2.10.  I've include the system log at the bottom of this post.

Seeing that deja.com doesn't seem to be working right now, please post
your answers as replies
to this message in this newsgroup.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

My system log when doing the insmod and trying the mount:

Dec 30 18:57:53 archangel kernel: OS9000 filesystem v2.10 registered.
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: Block Offset = 1
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: Sync number = ADB0B0AD
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: Volume Name = OS9 Test Disk
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
dereference at virtual address 00000008
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel:  printing eip:
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: c013684b
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: *pde = 00000000
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: Oops: 0000
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: CPU:    0
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: EIP:    0010:[add_vfsmnt+11/576]
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: EFLAGS: 00010282
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: eax: 00000000   ebx: cd75ff74   ecx:
c602a000   edx: c2176520
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: esi: c34aea00   edi: d08409c8   ebp:
00000000   esp: cd75ff30
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   ss: 0018
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: Process mount (pid: 4741,
stackpage=cd75f000)
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: Stack: cd75ff74 c34aea00 d08409c8
c3dc8000 c3dc8000 c01383c5 c0138489 cd75ff74
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel:        00000000 c602a000 00000000
cd75e000 c3dc8000 bffff8bc 00000000 fffffff4
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel:        00000000 c2176520 c14929a0
c01381f0 c602a000 0805a190 0000000b 00000001
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: Call Trace:
[soundcore:__insmod_soundcore_S.bss_L100+88328/17909436]
[do_mount+385/692] [do_mount+581/692] [copy_mount_options+80/164]
[sys_mount+175/288] [system_call+51/56]
Dec 30 19:00:48 archangel kernel: Code: 8b 45 08 8b 74 24 24 8b 80 8c 00
00 00 89 44 24 14 6a 07 6a

Is this really saying that I don't have a defined function pointer for
do_mount?

------------------------------

From: Pat Shelton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cscope for linux
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 21:36:25 -0700

==============4A94ED84C8C5984FE0C3A347

The package intended to do this is ctags.  It is not as complete as
cscope
but is easier to use and interfaces to all popular editors.  That is you

call it out of vi or emacs or...?

You should already have it installed.  Look for the man page.

Cheers.!

Kallol Biswas wrote:

> Hi,
>     Is there any cscope type package in linux environment?
>
> Kallol
>
> --
> Phone: 973-443-7469         |  Design Engineer
> Telnet: 1-443-7469          |  EIAL
> www.kallolbiswas.com        |  Hewlett Packard Company
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]        |  Florham Park, NJ

==============4A94ED84C8C5984FE0C3A347

&nbsp;
as cscope
is you
<pre>--&nbsp;
Phone: 973-443-7469&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |&nbsp; Design
Engineer
Telnet: 1-443-7469&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |&nbsp; EIAL
www.kallolbiswas.com&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |&nbsp; Hewlett Packard
Company
[EMAIL PROTECTED]&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |&nbsp; Florham Park,
NJ</pre>
&nbsp;</blockquote>

==============4A94ED84C8C5984FE0C3A347==

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to the
comp.os.linux.development.system newsgroup.