Rob Landley wrote:
Except for the minor fact that most early boot debugging happens long
before the console subsystem is even available..

Isn't that why CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK was written? (And I mentioned Linus's hack using the RTC to see how far the _really_ early stuff got.)

Don't think that works with frame buffers.

Earlier I was trying to distinguish between /dev/console (no controlling tty), virtual terminals (tied to old VGA hardware although possibly usable through the framebuffer, I'm unclear on this), the tty layer (which is what I initially thought the patch was aimed at, but it seems to be the vga VT stuff), and having a bitmapped display (may be GUI only). Four separate things, I've lost track of which we're talking about here.

When you imply it's stupid to think anyone will ever have a console on an embedded system (because we all know the embedded world is far more uniform than crazy diverse things like the desktop space), which of these are _you_ referring to?

I'm talking about the virtual console stuff, which is *not* inherently tied to VGA.

The issue is whether it makes sense to have virtual console capability on a device which is so constrained that you want a *subset* of the functionality in place.

        -hpa