> I have successfully installed the base Debian 2.1 system on an Ampro
> Littleboard i486. We ordered this board without VGA. The POST messages
> and BIOS setup are via one of the serial ports.
>
> The problem I am having is that after doing a shutdown -r, the POST
> messages do not appear on the terminal and neither does the LILO prompt.
> This is kind of annoying but I can get things to work with a hard reset.
>
> Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

the linux kernel reboot procedure is located in
arch/i386/kernel/process.c, in the function hard_reset_now() in the 2.0.36
kernel, and in the function machine_restart() in 2.2.x.  If you peruse the
code you will see that there are a few options to determine how the reboot
is performed.  You can probably affect how reboots are done by passing
parameters to the kernel from bootloader.

But if you find that soft boots simply don't work correctly, I'd recommend
(and I realize this is a little brute-force) finding out how to do a
hardware reset on this board and punching that code into the function
listed above.  For instance, on an intel 430tx chipset, you can hit a
chipset register as follows:

        unsigned char reserved;
        const unsigned short piix_reset_ioaddr=0xCF9;
        const unsigned short flash_pager_ioaddr=0x1120;

        /* Nail the reset register in the PIIX4 */
        reserved=inb(piix_reset_ioaddr) & 0xF9;
        outb(reserved | 0x02, piix_reset_ioaddr);
        outb(reserved | 0x06, piix_reset_ioaddr);

If you need more info please email me.

Eric Seppanen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]