Eric, thanks for your help. You've set me on a path that's taught me
quite a bit.

However it still doesn't work. I've tried reboot= with all four of those
parameters and there is no difference.

First of all, linux-2.2.11 and SysVinit-2.76.

I looked at the source for /sbin/halt included with SysVinit. I call
this as /sbin/reboot -d -f -i. What it does is calls init_reboot.
Forgive me, I'm new to all this but where is init_reboot?

Anyway, from linux/sys.c, sys_reboot eventually gets called with
LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART instead of LINUX_REBOOT_CMD_RESTART2. I
verified this by changing the printk from "Restarting system" to
"Restarting this here system" and recompiling. On shutdown, I get this
cute new message and then I can hear the boards speaker beep and the
hard drive seek but then it hangs, no POST messages and no reboot.

After that printk, machine_restart in linux/arch/i386/kernel/process.c
gets called with (NULL) but the RESTART2 calls it with a command.

There is a function in process.c that is called reboot_setup. For the
life of me I can't find where this is called from.

Maybe this is an issue with halt.c in SysVinit-2.76?

I'm not sure if this is offtopic or not for this list. I only have this
problem with the Ampro Littleboard though so maybe not.