I have a very, very stripped down version (just bare minimum OS and X) of
RedHat Linux 6.2 with 2.2.17 and backport USB patch, for USB printer.  I
need to add printer service so I put in LPD, LPR, etc.  When I run LPR
<textfile>, the banner prints with the appropriate info but the textfile
does not.  The textfile DOES get spooled properly, ie. the "df..." file is
there, but gets lost when sent to the printer.  Now I have stripped most
utilities and such from this distro and have not found what exactly LPD
needs inbetween it and the printer.  I have been scouring the HOWTOs and MAN
pages to no avail.  I set up a similar system with the same kernel and
printcap and a full disto and that works.  Anyone have suggestions as to
what I am missing?

btw... cat <textfile> > /dev/usb/lp0 does work.

Thanks in advance,