My guess is you removed the filter/config files or something that the
filter file uses (the program "file" perhaps).

In /var/spool/lpd/<your printer> (typically lp), you will find a file
"filter" and some configuration files like general.cfg, postscript.cfg,
textonly.cfg.  The filter script figures out the format of the file you
are trying to print (presumably plain text) and Does the Right
Thing(tm).  This involves some sort of pluggable filter scripts which I
found in /usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters.

You've shown the printer connection works, it must be the filter
scripts or a resource needed by a filter script.  RTFM, but I'm
guessing that if you replace /var/spool/lpd/<your printer>/filter with
the one liner
cat -
or
sed -e 's/$/'`echo -ne '\r'`'/g'
work as expected.

gvb

Disclaimer: This is a simpleminded guess based on a 10 second look at
the filter file asc-to-printer.fpi.  RTFM for details.