On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Green wrote:

> I want to login to my MIPS box through serial port.
> I execute 'make menuconfig' and select the 'serial console'.
> But I can't see the login prompt in my window(I use netterm).

I believe enabling 'serial console' tells the kernel to send boot messages
(and other kernel messages) out the serial console.  I.e. the kernel
treats the serial port like it would your VGA console.  The kernel doesn't
provide a login prompt on either  You need to run something else to do
that.

> P.S I skip /sbin/init program.

This has something to do with it.

Login prompts are provided by some version of 'getty' (getty, agetty,
mgetty, mingetty, etc.).  For a serial login, you need something to run
the getty program on the serial port.  Usually it's init.  (For most
server/workstation-oriented disitributions I've seen, this isn't enabled
by default.)

--Jeremy

P.S. Don't use mingetty for serial consoles.  It is only suitable for
virtual terminals.  Try mgetty, or just about any other.

P.P.S. this sort of question really isn't appropriate for the linux-kernel
mailing list.  Leave that list for questions on making improvements to the
kernel code, not for personal configuration questions.

Jeremy Impson
Sr. Associate Network Engineer
Advanced Technologies Department
Lockheed Martin Systems Integration