On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 02:36:50PM +0800, Green wrote:
> I want to login to my MIPS box through serial port.
> I execute 'make menuconfig' and select the 'serial console'.
> But I can't see the login prompt in my window(I use netterm).
>
> May I ask how serial console work?
> Or I forget something?
>
> P.S I skip /sbin/init program.

Well, if you're skipping init, you're depending on the kernel to get
the port right (I assume you're using init=/bin/bash), and I don't know
if it's actually that damned smart or not.  You might need to init= a
shell script with #!/bin/bash and exec another shell with the
appropriate redirects.  This will, *I think*, work on Linux where it
might not work on other systems, since #! is handled directly by the
exec(2) call, as I understand the thing.

Anyone actually sure on this one, as opposed to my mere speculations?
;-)

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink