Henning Sprang wrote:
On 6/4/07, Rudy Gevaert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I took the time to test and it works:

Cool, thanks for testing!

Create base image file:

DIST=feisty
DIR=/tmp/$DIST
[ -e $DIR ] || mkdir $DIR
cd $DIR
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS="--arch i386 --exclude=dhcp-client,info feisty $DIR
http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/ubuntu/ubuntu/";
export FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS
debootstrap $FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP_OPTS
chroot $DIR apt-get clean
tar -cvzf /srv/fai/config/basefiles/FEISTY.tar.gz *
cd /tmp
rm -fr $DIR

This is basically what the make-fai-base-tgz from my subversion branch
does - you only need to create a config file for a new (debian-based)
distribution/version and tell it where it can find the right
debootstrap package.

I haven't tried that, I just used my own debootstrap (from unstable on sarge)

(now only for debian, but it should also be possible to add
functionality for other distributions by abstractiung the call to the
bootstrapper a bit more).

I still have some issues with networking that I'm looking into.

What exactly is happening?
I realized there are some strange things happening when installing
dapper and having a separate /var partition - I have to look into my
config at home to give you a hint what to do.

The symptoms of this problem where missing local network, and
therefore many things failing, including gnome login, and even the
network scripts doing strange things.

I was mailed off list with a solution. I was seeing the same problems. Networking and other things couldn't be started:

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:58:42 +0200,
Rudy Gevaert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 [...]
> I still have some issues with networking that I'm looking into.

I've had the problem that networking would not start due to missing /var/run/network/, maybe you have the same ?

I've put this in a hook:

 #
 # hack for network missing /var/run after 1st reboot, see
 #  http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2006/08/msg00322.html
 #
 mkdir /tmp/xxx
 mount --bind $FAI_ROOT /tmp/xxx
 test -d /tmp/xxx/var/run/network || mkdir -vp /tmp/xxx/var/run/network
 umount /tmp/xxx && rmdir /tmp/xxx

Hope this helps,

Emil Gorter

I fixed it by making /var/run/network (and /var/run/lock I think) before making the base image tar ball.

I also have a problem that my installation sets up my fstab with /dev/hdaX, but when rebooting ubuntu sees /dev/sda.

Maybe I need to use the ubuntu debootstrap.

Rudy

Antwort per Email an