Hi,

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 08:57:43AM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:

> > POSIX makes an unambiguous definition of inheritence --- inheritence
> > is applied on file creation.  Hard links only create a new directory
> > entry, not a file, so the ACLs on the linked file don't change.

> I am not convinced that it is necessarily bad for mv and ln to change the
>permissions.  I mean, they
> do that currently, why not allow it to happen for ACLs also?

rename(2) and link(2) never change the permissions on the underlying
file.  If you do a "mv", then you might get permissions change, but
that's just because the user-land "mv" application sometimes does a
copy rather than a rename(2) (if you are moving a directory or if you
cross a mount point).

It is certainly _possible_ to allow ACLs to change on rename/link, but
POSIX ACLs don't do that.  Other filesystems may well do.

Cheers,
 Stephen