On Tuesday, June 12, 2001 12:57:04 PM -0400 Alexander Viro
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
>> release the page cache part of the page count, but we'll leave the
>> buffers untouched because somebody is still using them. It's really
>> nothing but a "the page is still busy, we'll delay the free" thing.
>
> Erm... Sorry, but what is going to free them? It will not happen until
> all buffer_heads are on the free list. And AFAICS it won't happen until
> we call set_blocksize() or invalidate_buffers().
>
> Notice that once it happens we are in for trouble - we enter the window
> when bh can be picked by getblk().

How about moving them onto a different mapping instead of leaving them
anonymous?  We could have a dead_page_mapping and put the page there in
truncate_complete_page.  Put it on the inactive list and let the normal
processes take care of it once the buffer head is dropped.

-chris