>       hpfs - no problems, but there is something rather odd. Why on the
> Earth does it forcibly write inode to disk in the end of notify_change()?
> Immediately before that inode is dirtified by inode_setattr(). Mikulas, is
> there something special that makes you write it ASAP?

HPFS doesn't use write_inode. On HPFS, write_inode needs to lock parent
directory to update dirent. write_inode is called asynchronously and
locking directory makes deadlocks. So, write_inode is NULL and inode is
explicitly written on notify_change and file_release.

[ Once you suggested a solution for this - keep in inode pointer to
directory data, but I'm too lazy to implement it. HPFS is not performance
critical ]

Mikulas Patocka