Hi,

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999 09:37:28 -0400 (EDT), Alexander Viro
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>       Rationale was:
>       a) get rid of code duplication and get all calls of ->truncate()
> into the same place.
>       b) make it in the same place that sets i_size.
>       c) on many filesystems extending ->truncate() may fail. Right now
> we have no way to report said fact (or any other errors, for that matter).
> Change will be easier if we will have _one_ place to look after.

Yes, and I had to make similar changes in 2.2 to report such changes.
Observing RLIMIT_FSIZE in the filesystem requires that, for example.
However, 2.3 is a lot more sensitive to the ordering.

>       IMHO it became cleaner - I can post the detailed proof that it
> preserves the ordering. It was a requirement from the very beginning.

Fine, as long as we document somewhere exactly what the filesystem
requirements are.

--Stephen