On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Erez Zadok wrote:

> > I'm not sure that we need to keep it on procfs - especially with the
> > union-mounts coming into the game.
>
> Procfs or not, I'm advocating for keeping it in the kernel only, where it
> belongs, and removing the kludgy need (ala Sun and many others) to maintain
> a separate /etc/mtab file.

Oh, definitely.

> Anyway, I'd like to see a new syscall that returns a list of mounts and

Sigh... We already have a crapload of syscalls that should not be there.
If it can be done by open()/read()/write()/lseek()/close() it should be
done that way.

> associated info in linux.  Currently that can be done by reading
> /proc/mounts, but not if procfs isn't available or we're going to take
> /proc/mounts away.

/proc/<pid>/ns. And we can't remove /proc/mount (albeit we can take all
crap out of procfs and union-mount it over the thing).