In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alexander Viro
writes:

> On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Erez Zadok wrote:

[...]
> > Anyway, I'd like to see a new syscall that returns a list of mounts and
>
> Sigh... We already have a crapload of syscalls that should not be there.
> If it can be done by open()/read()/write()/lseek()/close() it should be
> done that way.

Hey, we can make it yet another ioctl(2).  Then we can trade a crapload of
syscalls for a crapload of ioctls --- a time-honored Unix tradition... :-)
:-)

Seriously, an open/read/.../close would work fine, but on what file?  If
it's something inside /proc, fine, but has the Linux community as a whole
accepted that procfs is a *must* for any working system "or else"?  If the
file to open/read/close won't be in /proc, what type of file it'd be and how
it'd get created?

Erez.