Alan Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Matthew Soffen wrote:
>> I don't see it being any problem.
>> Is there any "convention" that other projects use ?
>

> Not that I know of.  I just thought this might make things clearer to
> those who want to link to our libraries - which ones are under which
> license.

I think changing the library names to distinct its license is
not so common, and I feel a bit uncomfortable...

Other options came up to my mind are:

1. Clearly note somewhere on a document, probably in
   "Exceptions" section on http://linux-ha.org/FileCopyrightPolicy .

   It needs less work, but users tend to miss it, and documents
   tend to be out of date:-)

2. Separate the directories for LGPL and others in the source tree.
   Only LGPL files (that conform to the project policy) should
   be put into lib/ directory, and for other directories it
   depends on each module or developer. For example, GPL'ed
   lib/crm might be in, say crm/lib, and when the developer
   decide to change some of the functions to be LGPL, he may
   want to move those into lib/ directory with the new license
   statement.

   Users who concern the license just need to check if it's in
   lib/ directory. They don't have to look through all the
   source code in the tree.

3. Separate RPM package for LGPL libraries, say heartbeat-lib-*.rpm,
   which is intended to be used by users as to the project policy.

   Users who concern the license should only use the libraries
   in this RPM. A problem would be, because the lib rpm is
   always required, all users have to do extra steps to
   download and install.

I personally think that 2. is clear enough and good for developers,
although I'm not sure how big the impact is for the library in question.

I hope it helps.

BTW, if this topic came up from my post about the license,
it is not an urgent issue for me. sorry if I confused you.

Thanks,

Keisuke MORI
NTT DATA Intellilink Corporation