On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> On 2008-04-15T11:55:02, David Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Given that the software runs not only on Linux but also on *BSD, Solaris
> > and potentially any UN*X-like OS, could I suggest that the names try,
> > where reasonably possible, not to be based on 'linux'.
>
> But the project's name _is_ Linux-HA. I'm sorry. I didn't chose it ;-)

Thanks, Lars.

I had never quite understood the double naming of "heartbeat" and
"Linux-HA".  In the early days I had understood they were more or less
equivalent, but then as V2 evolved, I began to get the impression that the
"Linux-HA" name covered the whole thing whereas the "heartbeat" name was
being used for only the lower-level components.

Is the naming described anywhere?

Anyway, not to worry.  It was just a gentle plea that where there was a
reasonable choice of naming, that the portability of the software to a
wide variety of UN*X-like systems be noted by (if reasonably possible)
opting for a 'portable' name.

(Incidentally, that's why I like your "pacemaker" names!  Nice choice.)

Best wishes.

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:  UNIX Team Leader                         Durham University     :
:                                           South Road            :
:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/t.d.lee/            Durham DH1 3LE        :