On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 05:48:36PM +0200, Dejan Muhamedagic wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 10:11:41PM +1000, Simon Horman wrote:

> > > Hm? But debian builds?
>
> It's an installation requirement. Otherwise, looks like that the
> source package remained the same (e2fsprogs) on both stable and
> unstable.

Right, silly me. I realised that this morning.

> > I should have made it clear that my target for the work that
> > I did in debian/ is unstable.
>
> OK. Didn't know that.
>
> > If uuid-runtime | uuidgen makes
> > Etch happy, I'm happy for that change to go in.
>
> Hmm, I suppose that it should be uuid-runtime | e2fsprogs, but
> then e2fsprogs is available in unstable as well, but without
> uuidgen. Bummer. Anyway, it's possible to install the package now
> too with --force-depends.

Ok, that probably implies that the bug appeared whenever uuid-runtime
was split out of e2fsprogs.

http://bugs.debian.org/484868

If we want packages that install (without --force-depends) on Etch,
then I think that uuid-runtime | e2fsprogs is the best way to go.
Though I sense some bizarre Debian policy rule that will end up
having me remove it from the Debian packages in sid.