On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 03:54:16PM +0200, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 03:04:20PM +0200, Andrew Beekhof wrote:

> > > Hi Mori-san,
> > >
> > > I will add that libnet seems to be more or less unmaintained.
> >
> > Someone recently picked it up again, but I'm in favor of the patch for
> > the reasons Mori-san already stated.
> >
> > > You seem to make using libnet optional, is there a reason
> > > not to just remove it? portability?
> >
> > Agreed, lets just drop it.
>
> Ack.
>
> BTW, is it correct that most of it could be done by "ip", similar as
> IPaddr2 does it?  The only think missing would be a send_arp v6.
> Anyone want to write an IPv6addr2? ;-)

I believe that the main objection to using "ip" is that it doesn't exist
outside of Linux.

If you look at the history of IPaddr vs IPaddr2. They are both scripts.
The former is based on ifconfig and route, and is portable. IPaddr2
is based on ip is cleaner and probably has better features. There is
also a compatibility issue because ip aliases aren't exactly the
same as secondary addresses.

If we contrast this to IPv6addr, its cross platform,
and there seems to be no strong argument for new features (at all,
let alone ones that can't be added to the C code).

So no, I don't think there is a strong reason for an "ip" based
IPv6addr2. And I really wish the IPaddr/IPaddr2 situation didn't exist.